Support the Reaching Higher for Higher Ed Bills
Target: Wisconsin State Legislature
Wisconsin State Representative Katrina Shankland and State Senator Dave Hansen recently released the "Reaching Higher for Higher Education" package of bills. These bills would accomplish the following:
- Fully fund the the UW System tuition freeze by increasing funding for general program operations.
- Require that all future tuition freezes for the UW System be funded, ensuring that educators have the resources they need so students won't wait for courses to graduate.
- Fully fund the Wisconsin Technical College System's 2019-2021 budget request.
- Create a 19-member Blue Ribbon Commission for the UW System, tasked with studying and facilitating discussion of a public agenda for higher education, a set of long-term goals and priorities for higher education, and accessibility and affordability of education—including the feasibility of establishing a state program to provide debt-free college education to all Wisconsin residents.
- End the wait list for need-based financial aid for UW System and technical college students by increasing funding for Wisconsin Grants.
- Remit UW undergraduate student teacher tuition for the semester they are student teaching.